Considered one of the three main traditional hatha yoga texts, the Hatha Yoga Pradipika comprises four chapters which discuss asana (yoga postures), pranayama (breathing practices), mudras (“gestures” or “seals”), and samadhi (the state of enlightenment that many yogis strive to reach).
While many other texts within the yoga tradition describe the spiritual or mental experience of yoga without offering a clear “how to,” hatha yoga texts such as the Pradipika outline clear, specific, and concrete practices with explanations of both the how and the why of practice.
Whether you have read the Hatha Yoga Pradipika, want to get a glimpse of the concepts it offers, or just want to test your knowledge of traditional hatha yoga teachings, give this quiz a try!
1. The Hatha Yoga Pradipika is the oldest text written on the practice of yoga.
2. Handstand is a central posture in the Hatha Yoga Pradipika.
3. Who is the author of the Hatha Yoga Pradipika?
4. What technique from the Hatha Yoga Pradipika involves posture, breathing, and bandha work?
5. The Hatha Yoga Pradipika and the Yoga Sutra were written around the same time period.
6. The Hatha Yoga Pradipika and the Yoga Sutra are both considered to be tantric manuals.
7. Hatha is often translated as “sun and moon.”
8. Fasting is recommended in this text as a means to gain spiritual knowledge.
9. The aim of the Hatha Yoga Pradipika is to still the mind.
10. This text introduced many new concepts for the time period in which it was written—concepts likely discovered by the author himself.
11. Alternate nostril breathing is one technique that is covered in the Hatha Yoga Pradipika and, according to the text, is good for almost everyone.
12. Nadis and chakras are discussed in this manual.
13. The Hatha Yoga Pradipika lists more than 100 poses.
Want to infuse your practice with the wisdom from the Hatha Yoga Pradipika? Click here to learn more about our course Demystifing the Hatha Yoga Pradipika: Theory and Practice for the Modern Yogi!
This content is presented by one or more of the talented and dedicated staff members that we've been blessed to work with throughout the years.