Update: The producers of this documentary successfully funded a Kickstarter campaign to turn the 50-minute documentary into a feature film due out in early 2016.
An interesting new Al Jazeera Correspondent Series documentary tackles current questions about trends in the yoga community and intellectual property rights. Who owns yoga? How is yoga changing now that it is being practiced by millions of people worldwide? Is it a religion? How is yoga becoming more commercialized?
Our own Executive Director/CEO is interviewed in the middle of the film discussing the recent YogaGlo patent issue (section begins at timecode 30:15).
Let us know what you think. Is yoga headed in a positive direction? How do we protect the authenticity of yoga in a modern context?
A number of experts in the yoga field are interviewed including:
- Kajza Ekberg, Co-Founder of Boxing Yoga
- Juliet Murrell, Founder of Voga
- Stewart Gilchrist, Ashtanga Teacher
- Tara Stiles, Strala Yoga
- Sheetal Shah, Senior Director of the Hindu American Foundation
- Leslie Marshall, Instructor of Praise Moves, a Christian “Yoga” Group
- Mary Eady, activist against yoga in schools
- Dean Broyles, lawyer against yoga in schools
- Diamond Dallas Page, Founder DDP Yoga
- Mark Drost, Evolation Yoga
- Derrick Mills, Yogaglo Founder and CEO
- Todd Wolfenberg, Yoga International Executive Director/CEO
- Dharma Mittra
- Sharon Gannon and David Life, founders of Jivamukti Yoga
- Swami Ramdev, Founder of Patanjali Yogpeeth
- Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev, Founder of Isha Foundation in India