Kat and Kyle talk with Melanie Klein (co-founder of the Yoga and Body Image Coalition) and Dianne Bondy (founder of Yoga for All) about the new book Yoga Rising, the follow-up anthology to Yoga and Body Image. Melanie curated and edited this groundbreaking new book and Dianne wrote the foreword (and also graces the cover!).
Talking points include:
- What Yoga Rising is all about.
- How the yoga and body image conversation has evolved over time and how Yoga Rising plays a part.
- Why Melanie chose to feature a diverse range of experiences in this book.
- Feelings that can arise when we're confronted with social injustices (and why anger is okay).
- The power of “taking up space” and making peace with ourselves (a theme of Yoga Rising).
- Internalizing oppression: how and why many people often censor themselves/make themselves smaller.
- “I don't hate people who are a size zero!” (Clearing up a common misconception people have about body-image activism.)
- Making room at the table for everyone and how a lack of diversity makes organizations unsustainable.
- Opening to the complexity of communicating with others instead of developing hard-and-fast polarizing opinions.
- Everyone's experience with yoga will be different, and that's what's empowering: Yoga gives each of us something that is authentically our own.
- and more…
Send your comments, questions, and future show ideas to: YogaTalk@yogainternational.com
- Download mp3 (right click, select “Save link as”)
- Listen to every episode on SoundCloud!
- Listen to recent episodes and review us on iTunes!
Original score for this podcast is by Austin Joy.