Kat and Kyle chat with Amber Karnes, the founder of Body Positive Yoga, about identifying wellness barriers and creating inclusive yoga spaces.
Talking points include:
- What is Body Positive Yoga and what inspired Amber to create it?
- Representation matters: how the media transmits the message that most people don't belong in yoga spaces.
- How yoga teachers and studios can shift the perspective of what yoga is and who it's for.
- The fine line between inclusion and tokenism.
- What to avoid if you're a teacher and you want to make your yoga spaces more inclusive.
- Thoughts on hands-on assists and ways to obtain consent before you touch a student.
- The importance of safe spaces.
- Learning to empathize with people who are different from us.
- And more…
Send your comments, questions, and future show ideas to: YogaTalk@yogainternational.com
- Download mp3 (right click, select “Save link as”)
- Listen to every episode on Soundcloud!
- Listen to recent episodes and review us on iTunes!
Original score for this podcast is by Austin Joy.
Audio and video downloads are available for Digital Members.