Kat and Kyle talk with special guest Beth Spindler about yoga therapy: they discuss what it is, what it's not, and learn the answers to common questions. Beth is the author of Yoga Therapy for Fear: Treating Anxiety, Depression and Rage with the Vagus Nerve and Other Techniques and a frequent contributor to Yoga International.
Talking Points Include:
- How yoga therapy differs from physical therapy and other disciplines such as occupational therapy and massage therapy.
- The process of becoming a yoga therapist.
- What a yoga therapist's scope of practice is.
- Why yoga therapy emphasizes lifestyle choices (or “moving in wisdom”).
- What to expect from a yoga therapy session.
- How alignment is addressed in yoga therapy (and what Beth means when she says, “We're not working with poses, we're working with people”).
- Employment opportunities for yoga therapists and the importance of developing a specialization.
- How do you know if you've found a yoga therapist who knows their stuff?
- What Beth's book is about and who it's for.
- ...and more.
Send your comments, questions, and future show ideas to: YogaTalk@yogainternational.com
- Download mp3 (right click, select “Save link as”)
- Listen to every episode on SoundCloud!
- Listen to recent episodes and review us on iTunes!
Original score for this podcast is by Austin Joy.
Audio and video downloads are available for Digital Members.