Join Kat and Kyle as they chat with social justice advocate and yoga teacher Tobias Wiggins about the important topics of consent and gender in yoga. Tobias teaches at York University on topics related to sex, sexuality, gender, race and racism, dis/ability, and colonization.
Talking points include:
- Some of the main ways that the topic of consent shows up in yoga spaces.
- Tobias' blog post: “Creating a Culture of Consent Through Yoga Practice”
- Feeling pressure to say “yes” to hands-on assists when you want to say “no.”
- Creating a context where “no” is appreciated.
- Common ways yoga teachers reinforce gender binaries in yoga classes.
- The importance of integrating anti-oppression and trauma-sensitive training in yoga studios.
- Tips for being less reactive during difficult conversations.
Send your comments, questions, and future show ideas to: YogaTalk@yogainternational.com
Original score for this podcast is by Austin Joy.