Yoga Talk Podcast Episode 1: Does Yoga Have a Body Image Problem?
Emily and Kat weigh in on the current yoga and body image conversation, plus an interview with Yoga and Body Image co-editor Melanie Klein.
In this episode we discuss:
- Yoga and Body Image, edited by Anna Guest-Jelley and Melanie Klein (who we interview in the podcast)
- The “Yoga Body Myth” (blog post from Danielle Prohom Olson)
- Body image consciousness built up by "yogier than thou" body shaming (We love Marianne Elliot’s "How Shame Found me on the Yoga Mat" essay from Yoga and Body Image)
- Carol Horton’s response to Yoga Journal's "Body Issue" ("encouraging, yet disturbing")
- Our body image ideals are in the hands of the consumer, not the marketer. People recognize the lack of diversity and will talk about it, but it comes down to actually doing something.
- Body image and social media—Instagram/challenges: the pros and cons
- Our recent #YILoveMyBody Challenge, the #SizeDoesn’tMatter Challenge started by Jessamyn Stanley and Davina Davidson
- The "Yoga makes you skinny" myth, and dieting disguised as body positive
- Backhanded compliments
- Yoga clothing companies: the images they use in marketing, Lululemon only going up to size 12, other brands making plus sizes online only
- Body image is about more than just weight.
- Is yoga a competition? Everyone goes for their different reasons, but they don’t go to laugh at newbies or people who are different than them. Courtney Drobick’s XOJane piece
- Body image in relation to aging:
Seane Corn’s essay in Yoga and Body Image; refusing botox and to be photoshopped
- In relation to men:
Body image is not just a women’s issue; heteronormativity in yoga culture
- In relation to injury; "spiritualizing" pain, injury, and tightness
- Traditional goal of yoga (to still the modifications of the mind): how does that relate to body image? The yoga industry may not be doing that for us, but is our yoga?
- YI assistant producer Kathryn Ashworth’s interview with Melanie Klein
Send your comments, questions, and future show ideas to: YogaTalk@yogainternational.com
Our intro and outro is "Namaste Nation" by The Householders. Listen to the whole thing on their Soundcloud page: https://soundcloud.com/thehouseholders
Audio and video downloads are available for Digital Members.
This content is presented by one or more of the talented and dedicated staff members that we've been blessed to work with throughout the years.