Kat and Michael are talking fashion—yoga fashion! Tune in for a discussion about what we wear when we practice, how that’s changed over time, the booming yoga pants industry, and how yoga-related fashion has become such a big deal both in and out of the studio.
Talking points include:
Yoga clothing today
Yoga clothing throughout recent history
The invention of spandex!
- What's That Stuff, by Marc Reisch, published in Chemical Engineering News, February 15, 1999, Volume 77, Number 7
- The patent
Yoga in India vs. Yoga in America, by Arundhati Baitmangalkar
The Kundalini Yoga Guide to Yoga Clothes, by Ramdesh Kaur
Yoga pants in the news!
- Fortune article: Levi Strauss CEO on a 'mission to get women back into jeans', by Caroline Fairchild
The sexualization of yoga pants
Yoga pants bans in schools
- Boston.com article: Your Guide to America's War on Yoga Pants, by Heather Foley
- Slate.com article: Middle-School Girls Picket for the Right to Wear Leggings, by Amanda Hess
Can you still wear yoga pants in Montana?! (Spoiler alert: Yes.)
- Atlantic article: A Brief History of the GOP War on Yoga and Its Pants, by David A. Graham
- Washington Post article: Absurd Thing That Almost Happened: Montana’s Yoga Pants Ban, by Alexandra Petri
Accidentally see-through yoga pants in the news
- Business Insider articles: Lululemon Pulls Stretchy Black Pants Because They're Too Sheer, by Kim Bhasin, and The Sheer Yoga Pants That Lululemon Recalled Are Back in Stores and Selling for $92, by Hayley Peterson
- Jezebel article: Lululemon Is Asking Customers to Bend Over to Prove Their Yoga Pants Are Really That Sheer, by Jenna Sauers
- Plus! Kat's tips for avoiding see-through yoga pants
Yoga clothing and thin privilege
- Lululemon founder Chip Wilson’s unfortunate comments, and the public response
- Video at Bloomberg.com
- Alanna Kaivalya’s response at Huffington Post: Chip Wilson Can Kiss My Fat Yoga Ass: A Lululemon Ambassador Speaks Out
- Jessamyn Stanley's article at Elephant Journal: When Fat Girls Wear Yoga Clothes
- Though the big companies are sorely lacking when it comes to offering a diverse range of sizes, there are smaller companies (like Lineage Wear) that offer larger size ranges.
Celebrity yoga and fitness lines
- Kanye West's Adidas collaboration (And the question on everyone's mind: Are those bodysuits illegal in Montana?!)
Sustainable clothing brands and Etsy stores that we love
We asked our super-awesome (and super-stylish) colleague Gisela to share her favorites. Here are her top picks:
Send your comments, questions, and future show ideas to: YogaTalk@yogainternational.com
Our intro and outro is "Namaste Nation" by The Householders. Listen to the whole thing on their Soundcloud page: https://soundcloud.com/thehouseholders
Audio and video downloads are available for Digital Members.