Yoga Talk Podcast 12: When to Practice What?
Whether you’re putting together a class or a home practice, Kat and Michael have a few tips for safe and effective sequencing.
*Today’s podcast is inspired by Kat’s article: "5 Common Sequencing Errors" plus a bunch of other stuff in Kat’s brain, and a bunch of stuff in Michael’s brain.
Talking points include:
- How to begin?
- Time of day
- Save the seated forward bends for later!
- What to do before and after backbends
- When to break the rules
- The importance of shavasana
- When to teach pranayama and meditation
- Sequencing to a peak pose
Sample class/sequence outline:
1. Centering (sitting pose, shavasana, makarasana, child’s pose; breath work)
2. Warm-up/dynamic movement
3. Sun salute variations and lunges
4. Handstand/forearm stand preps and variations
5. Standing poses
6. Core work
7. Lateral hip stretches
8. Arm balances
9. Backbend preps and backbends
10. Seated twists and forward bends
11. Finishing pose(s) (happy baby, legs up the wall, etc.)
12. Shavasana (guided relaxation)
"How to Teach Asana for Healing and Transformation: Why Sequencing Matters," by Shari Friedrichsen
"Handstand Tutorial," by Mark Stephens
"A Sequence to Prepare for Urdhva Dhanurasana," by Rod Stryker
Join us for the Living Yoga Conference! Stream for free the weekend of April 24-26, or purchase the conference pass to keep the content forever. Yoga Talk listeners can save $10 with coupon code: LYC1714
Send your comments, questions, and future show ideas to: YogaTalk@yogainternational.com
Our intro and outro is "Namaste Nation" by The Householders. Listen to the whole thing on their Soundcloud page: https://soundcloud.com/thehouseholders
Audio and video downloads are available for Digital Members.
This content is presented by one or more of the talented and dedicated staff members that we've been blessed to work with throughout the years.