Kat and Michael are joined by guest host Lauren Toolin! (Whom you may recognize from her YI videos). Lauren is a super-knowledgeable yoga teacher who used to edit the anatomy columns for Yoga Journal (in other words, she knows her stuff!)
She joins us for a discussion about alignment cues yoga teachers should probably stop giving (or at least be a little more mindful about giving) and why "one size fits all" instruction can be problematic.
Talking Points Include:
The Trouble With Tailbone Tucking
- Amber Burke’s “Keeping the Doctor Away: Ten Doses of Yoga Alignment for Preventative Physical Therapy”
- “Five steps to safer backbends” by Doug Keller
- Kat's “Six Tips for Modifying Your Class for Pregnant Students”
Why Not to Pull Your Shoulders Down
The Problem with Elbow Hugging
- Julie Dohrman’s Blog: “The Vernacular of Yoga”
- Kat's "Seven Tips for Practicing Vinyasa with Safety and Ease”
When "One Breath Per Movement" Doesn't Work
We Weren't thinking of our grocery lists until you told us to stop thinking about them.
How we talk about props
- "Teachers, are you accidentally shaming your students? How to Make Yoga Class More Inclusive" by Amber Karnes
When Should You "Square Your Hips?"
Why "Flex Your Foot to Protect Your Knee" doesn't work for every pose
Can We Please Retire the "Two Panes of Glass" Cue?
Yes, you can practice inversions during your period! (If you want).
- "There's No Reason to Skip Headstands During Your Period" by Lizzie Wade at Slate.
- Our previous discussion on this topic can be found over at Podcast #2
Learn more about teacher training with Lauren.
Send your comments, questions, and future show ideas to: YogaTalk@yogainternational.com
Download mp3 (right click, select "Save link as")
Our intro and outro is "Namaste Nation" by The Householders. Listen to the whole thing on their Soundcloud page: https://soundcloud.com/thehouseholders
Audio and video downloads are available for Digital Members.