Yoga Talk Podcast 23: Yoga Etiquette
What if you show up too late? Can you leave early? Should you correct another student's alignment? What if you fart in class? WHAT WOULD EMILY POST SAY? On this week's episode, Kat and Michael discuss what constitutes a yoga faux pas, and how to avoid making them.
Talking points include:
When to Show Up and What to Do When You Get There
- How early is too early?
- "Yoga Etiquette for New Students," by Sheri Mabry Bestor
- What to do with your shoes
- The front desk
- What to do if you're late
Cell Phones, Tablets, and Other Electronic Devices
- "Yoga Teacher Fired over Cell Phone Ban at Facebook", a 2012 article by Casey Newton at the San Francisco Gate
- "Fantastical Acceptance: Be Your Unicorn Self (or Your Vampire Self) at YogaQuest," by Kathryn Ashworth
Interacting with Fellow Students
- Minding your own business
- "9 Yoga Etiquette Rules That Instructors Wish You'd Follow (Because You Really Don't Need Your Cellphone In Shavasana)," by Gina M. Florio at Bustle
- Mat slamming
What to Wear (Or Not)
- Can you go shirtless?
The Smelly Elephant (Smelephant?) in the Room
- "Confessions of a Yoga Farter," by Nikki Gloudeman (Published at Yoga Dork, NOT Elephant Journal as Kat accidentally stated on the podcast).
- "The Passing Gas" (Yoga Journal article)
- Spray down and wipe communal mats
- Tissues for eye pillows
Etiquette for Teachers
- Hands-on assists
- "Permission to Touch: The Complicated Matter of Hands-On Adjustments," by Susan Stringfellow
- Using kind, inclusive language
- Mindfulness with scents
- Not putting down other teachers/styles of yoga
“Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use.” ― Emily Post.
Send your comments, questions, and future show ideas to: YogaTalk@yogainternational.com
Our intro and outro is "Namaste Nation" by The Householders. Listen to the whole thing on their Soundcloud page: https://soundcloud.com/thehouseholders
Audio and video downloads are available for Digital Members.