Yoga Talk Podcast 26: Preventing Yoga Injuries
Kat and Michael discuss common contraindications and ways to prevent and address yoga injuries.
(Note: We are not doctors or physical therapists, or anything authoritative whatsoever, just yogis with opinions and recommendations to check out those who are smarter than we are.)
Talking points include:
Should teachers ask about injuries before class?
How to address student injuries
- Staying current with knowledge of biomechanics; avoiding outdated alignment cues and one-size-fits-all instructions that could cause someone to get hurt
- Let's talk hamstring tears.
- "Healing (or Preventing) Hamstring Injuries,¨ by Doug Keller
- "Understand and Prevent Shoulder Injuries," by Doug Keller
- "How to Avoid Shoulder Injuries in Chaturanga and Plank," by Doug Keller
- "7 Ways to Prevent Yoga Injuries," by Sandra Rowe
- Agni Sara
- Kat's article "6 Tips for Modifying Your Class for Pregnant Students"
- Menstruation (We talk about this in depth in podcast episode 2 and episode 13.)
- Contraindications for specific conditions
- Meditation contraindications
- "How the Mindfulness Movement Went Mainstream—And the Backlash That Came With It," by Mary Sykes Wylie at Alternet
- "Rx: Meditation & Contraindications: Over-Meditated," by Beth D. Weinstein at SharonSalzberg.com
- "The Contraindication Index for Yoga Asanas," by Victoria McColm
Send your comments, questions, and future show ideas to: YogaTalk@yogainternational.com
Our intro and outro is "Namaste Nation" by The Householders. Listen to the whole thing on their Soundcloud page: https://soundcloud.com/thehouseholders
Audio and video downloads are available for Digital Members.