Yoga Talk Podcast 29: Yoga and Body Positivity
In this episode, Kat and Michael talk about the ways in which yoga has helped us to learn to love our bodies, and what we as teachers and practitioners can do to make our yoga spaces more body positive.
Talking points include:
Acknowledging the amazing teachers, writers, and activists who are doing incredible work
- Melanie Klein and the Yoga and Body Image Coalition
- We interviewed Melanie on our first ever podcast about yoga and body image
- Dianne Bondy and Yoga for All
- Amber Karnes and Body Positive Yoga
- Anna Guest-Jelley and Curvy Yoga
Our own experiences related to yoga and body images
Why comments about weight loss don't belong in the yoga studio
- New York Times article: "They’re Not Afraid to Say It: ‘Fat Yoga’" by Kayleen Schaefer
Criticisms of “Love your body”
- Concern trolling, mean and unhelpful; human physiology is not that simple
- "There's 'no point' telling obese people to exercise more, doctors claim" by Charlie Cooper at the Independant
- Body neutrality in lieu of body positivity
- “Don’t tell me to love my body” by Elsye at Skepchick
What is body positivity?
- "What We Get Wrong About Body Positivity" by Jessamyn Stanley at the Wanderlust blog
Send your comments, questions, and future show ideas to: YogaTalk@yogainternational.com.
Audio and video downloads are available for Digital Members.