Kat and Michael are once again joined by their favorite ayurvedic expert, Kathryn Templeton, who's here to share her ayurvedic relationship tips (which aren't JUST about dating), right in time for the holidays!
Talking points include:
- See an ayurvedic practitioner.
- Next best thing: Dosha quizzes! (They'll either give you a pretty good idea of your dosha, or they'll drive you up a wall.)
- Our Dosha Quiz
- Banyan Botanicals' Dosha Quiz
- Your prakriti (essential nature) doesn't change, but your relationship to it does as you go through time.
- We don't always mature chronologically. Maturity (unfortunately!) doesn't necessarily come with age.
- Emotions are temporary (but not bad!)
Long-term relationships: Growing apart and growing together
- Self expression
- Personal responsibility
Why therapy is awesome
- Getting a fresh perspective
- Creating space
- Locus of control: Inside Vs. Outside
The importance of positive attention
Seeing the whole person
- Doshas and emotions
- Compartmentalizing to learn the foundations (of ayurveda), then putting it back together to make it whole
Mind/heart connection in ayurveda
- Heart and Brain: “The Awkward Yeti” web comic!
Self-understanding/self-identity and dating
- Understanding your partner too
- Not “personalizing it”
Fun with dosha pairings!
- We talk about “Moonstruck” again.
- Commitment (to one another and to self-understanding) is more important than what your doshas are (but Kathryn reminds us that some pairings can be particularly delightful…)
- The same attributes that draw us to each other can also repel us from each other.
- Building a bridge of empathy. Appreciating someone even if you don't understand them.
What's the secret to happily ever after?
- (Spoiler alert) It's empathy, communication, an internal locus of control, and mutual support.
Want more information?
- Visit Kathryn's website.
- ”Pacify the Critic: Ayurvedic Relationship Tips” by Kathryn Templeton
- “Put Down the Chocolate: Ayurveda’s Guide to Breaking Up” by Kathryn Templeton
Send your comments, questions, and future show ideas to: YogaTalk@yogainternational.com.
Audio and video downloads are available for Digital Members.