Yoga Talk Podcast 4: Has the Internet Changed How We Practice Yoga?
From blogs to Instagram challenges to online yoga classes to podcasts, Kat and Michael talk about how the internet has changed how we practice and perceive yoga. Talking points include:
- The elephant in the room: Is all this interneting “unyogic”? Is there a place for yoga here? Are we watering it down?
- The early days of the "yoga internet," what we remember, how different things are now.
Instagram and yoga selfies
- Kat's article on yoga selfies
- Yoganonymous article: How Yoga on Instagram Has Turned into a Lucrative Business
- The pros and cons of instagram challenges
- Awesome body-positive and curvy yogini instagrammers getting a lot of media attention this week even outside of the yoga blogs.
- Examples on Buzzfeed and Rebel Circus
- #SizeDoesntMatter challenge; Jessamyn Stanley on People.com
- Pinterest! Flipboard! Great for info-graphics! (Psst! YI has a Pinterest)
- What's Snapchat? We're too old for Snapchat.
- Podcasts and videos
- Paradigm shift! How and where we practice is changing.
- Article by Mary McInnis Meyer
How yoga internet culture has benefited/changed studio culture
- Signing up for classes online
- The controversial Groupon
- The Sometimes Awful Truth Behind Groupon Yoga by Gail Konop
- Online teacher training and CEUs
- Community building through social media
Is all this interneting unyogic? What would the sages say? (Note: We are not sages.)
Send your comments, questions, and future show ideas to: YogaTalk@yogainternational.com
Audio and video downloads are available for Digital Members.