Yoga Talk Podcast 7: Is Yoga Good for Kids?
How is kids' yoga different from grown-up yoga? Can yoga prevent bullying? And why isn't everyone in favor of in-school yoga programs? Join Kat, Michael, and YI assistant producer Kathryn Ashworth for a discussion on the benefits, challenges, (and controversy!) of teaching yoga to children.
Talking points include:
- Our experiences teaching yoga to kids
- How do you get to be a kids' yoga teacher?
—Yoga alliance standards for teaching yoga to children
—Kid-specific teacher trainings
- The difference between teaching kids and adults
—How do we sequence for kids? What’s the balance? How do you create structure and routine without stifling creativity?
—Kat's article, The Secret to Teaching Yoga to Children
- Create a lesson plan (but be ready to change things up).
- Curb your "good jobbing."
—Five Reasons to Stop Saying 'Good Job by Alfie Kohn; also see Unconditional Parenting: Moving from Rewards and Punishments to Love and Reason by Alfie Kohn (Atria Books, 2006)
- Ease up on alignment.
- Keep it interesting (you don't have to shy away from Sanskrit entirely!).
Teaching Different Age Groups
- Behavior management
- Jessica Walsh's article on teaching yoga to preschoolers
- What It Looks Like to Teach Kids Yoga? (Hint: Maybe Not What You’d Expect!) by Lauren Chaitoff
Support for Teaching Yoga to Kids
Why Wouldn’t We Teach Yoga to Kids?
- Lawsuit filed against Encinitas Union School District (Sedlock v. Baird)
- CNN 2013 article: Is yoga too religious for schools? by Alisha Ebrahimji
- The ruling? Yoga is not religious and is appropriate for school children. Reasoning? Class was stripped of spiritual reference.
—Atlantic article, Should Schools Teach Kids to Meditate? by Amanda Machado
How Yoga Can Benefit Kids
- May stop/prevent bullying
—Dee Marie's YogaDork interview
—Kathryn's Interview with Take 5 founder Sheila Palmquist
—More on Take 5
- Mental health benefits
—WSJ article: Namaste. Now Nap Time. by Emily Glazer
—Research published in the Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics suggests that yoga can help teenagers ward off anxiety: "Benefits of yoga for psychosocial well-being in a U.S. high school curriculum: a preliminary randomized controlled trial."
- Yoga and cats! (Which has nothing to do with this week's topic, but we love it anyway!)
Audio and video downloads are available for Digital Members.