Write for Yoga International
Revised and Effective February 26, 2018
Freelance Writers: Interested in Writing for Yoga International?
While we are currently accepting submissions, we are extremely selective about the articles that we publish on Yoga International (we do not publish the majority of articles that we receive). If you are interested in writing for us, please send your original article (not published or submitted elsewhere) or article pitch, along with your author bio and a few short writing samples, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Regrettably, we are not able to provide specific individual feedback for the articles that we do not accept.
YI Writers’ Guidelines
- Aim to stay under 1,000 words.
- Please make sure that your article adheres to our core values of inclusivity and body positivity. We will not publish articles about diet or weight loss or those that contain language that is body-shaming or objectifying. We also highly recommend using The Disability Language Style Guide as a reference.
- Be sure to proof your submission for grammar, syntax, spelling, punctuation, etc. before sending it to us. It’s a good idea to have a friend/colleague review it and give feedback before submitting.
- Include reputable sources to back up all claims (published, peer-reviewed studies when applicable). We cannot publish articles that do not hold up to our fact-checking standards.
- Make sure to cite all direct quotes, and to state something completely in your own words if you're not using direct quotes. This includes definitions of key terms (for example: If you’re defining “tennis elbow,” don’t just copy and paste the definition from the Mayo Clinic’s website).
- If your article requires a photo shoot, we are happy to arrange it on our end, though we request that you limit the number of photos required to no more than ten.
Publish decisions (including whether or not we publish any article or allow any article to remain on our site) are at the sole discretion of Yoga International.
Our Editorial Process
Each article that we accept will be edited for content and structure by our editorial team. We have a zero-tolerance policy when it comes to plagiarism.
Once published, an article becomes the property of Yoga International. (Please let us know if you wish to share a piece you’ve written for YI elsewhere. In most cases we’re fine with that and simply request that you include a line that states that the article first appeared on Yoga International and include a link to the original.)
If your article is selected for publication by Yoga International, you will receive a minimum payment of $50.00 USD. We pay more ($150–200 USD) for instructional articles (educational content written by expert teachers, including asana sequences and anatomy and yoga therapy-related content).