These simple baked apples will fill your house with rich aromas on a winter morning.
- 5 baking apples such as Northern Spy, Rome, or Ida Red
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, plus some for “dusting”
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, divided into four “dabs”
- 4 squares of aluminum foil, 6 x 6 inches
- Preheat oven (or toaster oven) to 350˚ F.
- Using a sharp, thin paring knife, remove the cores from 4 apples, keeping them intact.
- Core and chop the remaining apple and mix it with the walnuts, cinnamon, and brown sugar.
- Place each hollowed-out apple on a piece of foil, dust inside and out with cinnamon, fill the cores with the chopped mixture, and dot the tops with butter.
- Pull the foil up around the apples but not over the top. Place on a baking dish and bake until a skewer or toothpick can be inserted easily (30 to 40 minutes).