Black Bean Soup Recipe
This protein-rich black bean soup will leave you feeling warm, cozy, and nourished from head to toe. From the sweetness of the dried oregano, to the heat provided by the cumin, it’s plentiful in flavor too. This delightful dish could become a staple for any occasion, whether at home with family, or among a close-knit gathering of friends.
(Yield: 8-10 servings)
- 1 pound black turtle beans, soaked overnight, drained, and rinsed
- 2 quarts vegetable stock
- 2 large onions, small dice
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ cup mirin OR 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 3 tablespoons brown rice vinegar
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup chopped whole scallions for garnish
- Combine beans in 1 gallon pot with stock. Bring beans to boil, skimming foam that rises to surface. Reduce heat, cover, and cook for 45 minutes.
- While beans are cooking, heat oil in 10-inch sauté pan and sauté onion and garlic over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes.
- While onion and garlic are sautéing, drop tomatoes into bean pot for 30 seconds; remove using slotted spoon. Peel tomatoes, cut them in half crosswise and squeeze out seeds. Chop coarsely and add to sauté pan, along with oregano, cumin, and chili powder. Cook, stirring for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer contents of sauté pan into soup pot. Add bay leaves. Cover pot and simmer for 30-40 minutes.
- Add mirin or sherry, vinegar, and salt and continue to simmer for another 15 minutes. Remove bay leaves. If you wish, puree 2 to 3 cups of soup in blender or food processor to create thicker, smoother texture.
- Season with salt and pepper. Ladle into soup bowls and serve, garnished with chopped scallions.
Founded in 1977 by Annemarie Colbin, Ph.D., Natural Gourmet Institute (NGI) is the leader in health-supportive culinary education. Natural Gourmet Institute’s Chef’s Training Program is a comprehensive and professional program that trains students to meet the growing demand forculinary professionals who are able to make the connection between food and health. Natural Gourmet Institute also offers public intensives, hands-on instruction, demonstrations and lectures for the healthy cooking... Read more>>