Preparation time: a half hour or less. Good for all seasons. Sattvic with fresh milk, mildly rajasic with the boxed milks, calms all doshas. Nourishes plasma, red blood cells, muscle, and nerves.
- Wash well:
• 1⁄2 c. white basmati rice
- Put it in a small saucepan with:
• 1 1⁄2 c. milk: fresh cow or goat, or soy or rice milk
• 1⁄4 tsp. freshly ground cardamom
• pinch of rock salt or sea salt
- Bring to a boil, then cover and cook on low until the rice is tender. It may be a bit “soupy.” Serve with ghee (especially calming for vata and pitta) and raw honey (calms kapha and vata) or maple syrup (calms vata and pitta).