Preparation time: a half hour or less. Good for all seasons. Sattvic with fresh milk, mildly rajasic with the boxed milks, calms all doshas. Nourishes plasma, red blood cells, muscle, and nerves.
- Wash well:
• 1⁄2 c. white basmati rice
- Put it in a small saucepan with:
• 1 1⁄2 c. milk: fresh cow or goat, or soy or rice milk
• 1⁄4 tsp. freshly ground cardamom
• pinch of rock salt or sea salt
- Bring to a boil, then cover and cook on low until the rice is tender. It may be a bit “soupy.” Serve with ghee (especially calming for vata and pitta) and raw honey (calms kapha and vata) or maple syrup (calms vata and pitta).
Amadea Morningstar is the author of The Ayurvedic Cookbook, Ayurvedic Cooking for Westerners, and The Ayurvedic Guide to Polarity Therapy. For more information, visit www.AyurvedaPolarityYoga.com.