Easy, Colorful Vegetable Stew
Make a quick and colorful creation that is healthy and delicious. The rainbow of vegetables used in this dish make it appealing to both the eyes and the taste buds.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 heaping 1-cup servings
- 1/2 red onion, diced small
- 2 carrots, diced medium
- 1/2 zucchini, diced medium
- 1/2 yellow squash, diced medium
- 1 can cannellini beans (15 oz), drained and rinsed
- 1 can Italian-style diced tomatoes w/ basil, garlic, and oregano (14.5 oz)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 to 1 cup water
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Cook onions in olive oil over medium-low heat in a soup pot for five minutes.
- Add carrots and stir. Continue cooking until carrots are fork-tender.
- Mix in zucchini and yellow squash. Add salt. Cook for five minutes stirring occasionally, or until the squash just begin to soften.
- Add the beans and tomatoes. Make sure to add all the liquid from the tomatoes as well. Stir well.
- Add 1/2 to 1 cup of water, depending on the thickness of stew you prefer.
- Raise the heat to medium and let the stew come to a simmer. Simmer for five minutes so that the flavors can come together.
- Add black pepper and extra salt to taste.
- Serve, share, and enjoy.
This hearty stew pairs nicely with a thick piece of warm and crusty Italian bread.
Annika has a love of fresh fruits and vegetables and a passion for cooking for others. She creates dishes that are simple, wholesome, delicious, and easy to prepare.