Sophisticated and savory, this mushroom-walnut pâté is a wonderful vegetarian option. As a special treat, enjoy this spread over toasted bread or your favorite crackers at your next family gathering.
(Yield: Approximately 2 cups)
- ½ ounce dried porcini
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, medium dice
- 1 pound button mushrooms, diced
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted
- ½ cup sherry or mirin
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup porcini soaking liquid, strained
- ½ tablespoon umeboshi vinegar
- Sea salt
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
- 2 tablespoons nuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- Cover dried mushrooms with 1 cup boiling water until soft and pliable, 20 to 30 minutes. Reserve soaking liquid.
- In a medium skillet, heat half the oil; sweat onion and garlic until very soft. Increase heat to caramelize. Remove from skillet and set aside. Heat remaining oil and sauté mushrooms until caramelized and liquid has evaporated. Transfer mushrooms to onion-garlic mixture.
- Deglaze skillet with sherry or mirin.
- In a food processor, combine garlic-onion-mushroom mixture, deglazing liquid, walnuts, mushroom-soaking liquid, and vinegar.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with parsley and/or chopped nuts.