Preparation time: 20 minutes. Good for all seasons. Sattvic; calms all doshas. (Serves 4)
- In a small cup or bowl, soak 1⁄8 tsp. saffron with 1 Tbsp. water
- In the bottom of a medium-sized stainless steel pot, dry roast 1⁄2 tsp. freshly ground cumin
- Wash well: 1 c. white basmati rice
- Add the rice to the cumin in the pot along with 2 1⁄2 c. water and 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- Bring to a boil.
- Pour in the saffron and its soaking water.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until done—about 15 minutes.
Amadea Morningstar is the author of The Ayurvedic Cookbook, Ayurvedic Cooking for Westerners, and The Ayurvedic Guide to Polarity Therapy. For more information, visit www.AyurvedaPolarityYoga.com.