Preparation time: 20 minutes. Good for all seasons. Sattvic; calms all doshas. (Serves 4)
- In a small cup or bowl, soak 1⁄8 tsp. saffron with 1 Tbsp. water
- In the bottom of a medium-sized stainless steel pot, dry roast 1⁄2 tsp. freshly ground cumin
- Wash well: 1 c. white basmati rice
- Add the rice to the cumin in the pot along with 2 1⁄2 c. water and 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- Bring to a boil.
- Pour in the saffron and its soaking water.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until done—about 15 minutes.