This vegan cornbread is moist and nutty with a delicate cinnamon flavor. It pairs nicely with a vegetarian chili or baked beans.
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed mixed with 6 tablespoons of water
- 1 cup finely ground cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (If you want a stronger cinnamon flavor use 2 tsps!)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup butternut squash puree (fresh or canned)
- 1/3 cup olive oil (plus a little extra to grease the pan)
- 1/3 cup vegan milk (soy, almond, or cashew work very nicely)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Grease a 1.5-quart loaf pan with olive oil.
- Mix together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- Combine maple syrup, butternut squash, olive oil, and a vegan milk option (examples: almond milk, coconut milk, or hemp milk). Mix well.
- Once the flaxseed mixture has thickened, add it to the wet ingredients.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients one cup at a time and thoroughly.
- Mix the walnuts into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the greased pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. Do a toothpick test to make sure the loaf is cooked thoroughly.
- Let the loaf cool at least 15 minutes before slicing it. The loaf should slide out very smoothly.
Annika has a love of fresh fruits and vegetables and a passion for cooking for others. She creates dishes that are simple, wholesome, delicious, and easy to prepare.