Fresh Corn Soup
Preparation time: 30–45 minutes, with vegetable stock on hand. Best in summer, when corn is fresh. Mildly rajasic, calms all doshas in moderation.
1. Husk and cut from its ears with a sharp, paring knife:
4 ears fresh organic sweet corn, raw
(Cutting the corn into a bowl can help keep it from flying about.)
2. Wash and chop:
5 small green onions, finely chopped
1⁄2 bunch fresh cilantro, finely chopped (about 1⁄2 c.)
3. Set aside the chopped onion tops and the cilantro for garnish.
The chopped onion whites will be used in a moment in the soup. Warm in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-low heat:
1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil or ghee
4. Stir the chopped white onion into the oil. Stir for a minute, then stir in:
1 Tbsp. barley or whole-wheat flour (rice flour can also be used, if you are on a gluten-free eating plan)
5. Heat over low heat for 2–3 minutes. Pour in:
2 c. vegetarian vegetable soup stock
I use a homemade one, simmering together the following ingredients for 45 minutes or until savory:
1 ear of corn
1 small onion
1 unpeeled garlic clove
1 large carrot
1 bay leaf
1⁄2 tsp. cumin seeds
1 tsp. salt
2 stalks of celery per 10 c. water
But if you’re starting with a prepared stock, simply add:
1⁄2 tsp. cumin to the stock for a roughly comparable taste.)
6. Bring the heat to medium-high.
Once the stock is hot, add the fresh corn and cook about 5 minutes. Then stir in, a little at a time, until you have the consistency you like:
2–3 c. fresh milk or soy milk
7. Bring the soup to a boil. Add:
2 chilis poblanos or 1⁄4–1⁄2 tsp. ground red chili, preferably poblano
1 tsp. freshly ground coriander seeds or 2 tsps. commercially ground
8. Reduce to simmer and let cook for another 10–15 minutes. Garnish with chopped onion greens and cilantro. Serve with Butterfly Biscuits and salad, or alone.
Supports blood cells and bone.
Amadea Morningstar is the author of The Ayurvedic Cookbook, Ayurvedic Cooking for Westerners, and The Ayurvedic Guide to Polarity Therapy. For more information, visit www.AyurvedaPolarityYoga.com.