Hearty BBQ Veggie Burgers
Ingredients to make four (4) Paties:
- 4 tablespoons hickory barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- ½ cup oat bran
- 2 tablespoons onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped canned beets
- 1 teaspoon beet juice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon pickled jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1 egg white, add more if needed (to bind)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 slices monterey jack cheese (optional)
Prep Time: 20 mins Total Time: 30 mins
- Stir together barbecue sauce and molasses. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash beans. Stir in 3 tablespoons of the barbecue mixture (reserving remaining for brushing) and remaining ingredients -- rice through egg white.
- Form into four 6 oz patties.
- Heat olive oil in a cast iron or non-stick skillet over medium. Grill burgers for 2 minutes on one side. Turn and brush with remaining barbecue/molasses mixture.
- Top with Monterey Jack and grill for another 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.Serve with lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, onions and mustard on a bun which has been grilled in butter.
The former Executive Director of Yoga international and the Himalayan Institute, Matthew Douzart helped launch the YogaInternational.com website and oversaw reorganization of the Himalayan Institute's operations.