This cool summer quencher is a traditional South Asian drink—like a milkshake, only made with plain yogurt instead of milk.
- Peel 1 ripe mango, remove the pit, and chop the pulp into small chunks.
- Combine 3⁄4 cup cold water, 1 cup plain yogurt, and the mango in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Add 2 to 3 tablespoons sugar (according to taste), a dash of ground green cardamom seed (optional) and ground saffron (optional)—pulse to combine.
- Add 8 ice cubes and blend together until frothy.
- Pour into 4 cups, serve immediately, and enjoy! This delicious protein drink will sustain you for hours.
PREP TIPS: Peel the mango over a bowl to catch all the juice. After you cut the
mango pulp into chunks, crush with a potato masher and remove any stringy fibers
before blending. Or if you prefer, use 3⁄4 cup canned mango.
VARIATIONS: Don’t want to use sugar? Substitute fruit juice or honey instead. Or
skip the sweetener altogether, as a ripe mango is naturally sweet. You can also add
1⁄2 cup of fresh strawberries or other summer fruit. And if you don’t like yogurt, substitute 2 cups of milk and skip the water to make a milkshake.
HEALTH BENEFITS: Mangoes are packed with vitamins A, B, and C. Combined with the protein-rich yogurt or milk, they turn this nutritious drink into a time-released snack that will keep your energy going for hours.