Tomato & Lentil Curry Salad
This salad will revive appetites on a hot day. Serves 4 as part of a larger meal.
- 1 cup brown lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon curry powder (or more to taste)
- 21/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tomatoes, seeded, diced, and salted
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Salt to taste
- Sauté onions in oil until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add curry powder and sauté for another 30 seconds until fragrant. Add lentils and sauté for an additional 3 minutes until well coated in oil and beginning to sizzle. (This keeps them from breaking down during cooking.) Add water and salt and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes until the lentils are just tender. Drain and allow to cool.
Gather up tomatoes by the handful and gently squeeze out excess juice. Toss with celery and scallions. Mix with lentils, add oil and vinegar, and salt to taste.
John J. Kochevar has contributed many articles on flavorful vegetarian cooking to Yoga International.