According to the yoga tradition, the crown chakra—the thousand-petalled lotus at the crown of the head—connects your individual awareness with infinite consciousness. Considered to be the highest of the seven major chakras, this chakra (sahasrara) is regarded as a gateway to the energy of the universe itself. It is an energetic passageway that leads you from a mundane vision of life to the divine, and to absolute freedom. It is your ladder to immortality.
Considered to be the highest of the seven major chakras, this chakra (sahasrara) is regarded as a gateway to the energy of the universe itself.
The sahasrara chakra synchronizes all colors, which is why it manifests as white light. It also fuses all the senses, and with this comes a spiritual connection to the infinite. Meditating with the crown chakra brings intuitive knowledge, deep understanding, strong spirituality, and an enhanced sense of awe. It allows you to see the divine interconnectedness of all forms of life. The aim of Divine Light Meditation is to use all your powers of imagination to see with your mind’s eye a brilliant white light pouring down on you.
Divine Crown Chakra Meditation
1. Sit in a comfortable meditation pose with your legs crossed and your back straight. If working in a group, sit in a circle.
2. Rest your hands in your lap, palms upward, with your left hand on top. This is the mudra (hand position) for receiving energy. Close your eyes and let your breathing become slow and even.
3. Visualize a thousand-petalled lotus at the crown of your head. Imagine its petals gently opening to reveal an intense light. Let this divine light flow down into you through your crown chakra. Repeat one of the affirmations below, or create one that has more meaning for you. If you are alone, say the words silently; in a group, you may wish to chant them out loud, in unison:
“I am surrounded and protected by divine light.”
“This light nourishes my entire being.”
“I am forever walking in the light.”
“I grow stronger by tuning into the divine light.”
4. Feel the light spiraling down your body. Enjoy the warm glow as it saturates your entire being. Let every cell be permeated by light and inspiration, and every part of your consciousness become illuminated.
5. Focus your senses on the intensity of the light so that you not only see it, but hear, smell, taste, and touch it. Think of the light as a manifestation of your higher self, representing the peace that lies beyond understanding.
6. Feel like a pure channel for the light: allow yourself to be at one with it. In this state of oneness, intuitive thoughts and inspirations may enter your consciousness. Be thankful for this guidance.
7. After 15 minutes, take a few deep breaths and open your eyes.
Reprinted with permission of Duncan Baird Publishers, from Chakra Meditation: Discover Energy, Creativity, Focus, Love, Communication, Wisdom, and Spirit, by Swami Saradananda. © 2008 Swami Saradananda.